Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Friday, September 12, 2014

First Pulled Pork

It was during a friend's birthday party, years ago, that I was introduced to the joy of tasting a tender, luscious taste of pork shoulder (pork butt).

I'd had shredded pork countless times in life -- mostly on sandwiches. She had one of those glorious smokers and cooked the shoulder for something like 8 or 10 hours. I remember being thoroughly impressed with both the size and flavor of the shoulder. It is quite versatile, I realized. And it involves the type of preparation that awards the patient chef -- with all those hours, you cannot rush the cooking process.

I do not have one of those amazing smokers, so I opted to rub the shoulder with an ample amount of spices and cook the shoulder in the oven at about 350 for six hours or so.

The result -- a lovely, moist, succulent and semi-sweet shoulder that began to shred the instant you touched it, perfect for sandwiches, tacos, salads, a bit of BBQ sauce and a whole host of other dishes: 




No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog