Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Friday, August 15, 2014

Product Review: Delallo Fine Chopped Garlic in Pure Olive Oil


When it comes to certain foodstuffs I can be something of a traditionalist. I have always felt that some culinary no-nos should not be broken:
  • Never buy fish out of the freezer section. 
  • Don't buy roe in those little glass containers. Ever. 
  • Skip the boxed mash potatoes. 
  • Only buy garlic in bulk; never buy crushed garlic in cans and jars.
But there can sometimes be exceptions.

Honestly, the only reason why I opted to try Delallo's chopped garlic is because I was in the condiments aisle (looking for giardiniera, actually) and thought, "Why not?"

I take back what I have previously said about ready-made garlic.

Look: Delallo's has packed its garlic is a lovely, stylish and convenient glass container perfect for repuroposing after you have finished the product. It is increasingly difficult to come across everyday products packaged in such  sturdy glass. That's too bad. This container has a decent seal, so I imagine it will be a great container to reuse for salsa, sauces and maybe even spices.

Texture: It's not a fine mince, which is wonderful for garlic addicts like me. I don't want my garlic to disappear in a dish. I want to be able to see those beautiful nuggets. It somehow accentuates the flavor of the dish for me.

Smell: The smell of garlic was glorious when I popped open the top. It was as though I had peeled open a garlic -- barehanded. Delallo says a half teaspoon is the equivalent to one clove of garlic. I believe it.

Flavor: Alas, this is where we lost some of the oomph. It's pre-chopped garlic folks. So, no, it does not compare 100 percent to freshly chopped garlic. Still, it is a good go if you are in a hurry or if you absentmindedly forgot to pick up fresh garlic while at the market.


No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog