Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, August 11, 2014

Product Review: Colgin Liquid Smoke

After a long, unwarranted hiatus, I am returning to this blog. I missed everything here: the wonderful creative space; the community of bloggers who persistent offer steady encouragement and suggestions; the drive to be a better home cook and the desire to use my imagination in the kitchen -- one of my favorite places on this planet. 

Returning from the lull, I present a product review of Colgin Liquid Smoke, the natural mesquite flavor.


Colgin explains that its liquid smoke is made with no additives or preservatives. It's all natural, which is a bonus. It is also vegan and gluten free.

And it is versatile. You can use it in gravies, soups and sauces. It's been known to be used on salads, for dips and to season eggs. I haven't tried any of those. Putting some of those suggestions down on the to do list.

For now, my curiosity was with the "mesquite flavor" claim.

Having had the wonderful benefit of grilling with natural, fresh cut and dried mesquite, I can appreciate this product. I have found that grilling with mesquite requires a certain skill and attentiveness. The wood burns fast and very, very hot. I once singed most all the hair off of one of my arms while grilling using mesquite wood. And I was being uber attentive, aware of the power of mesquite.

The liquid smoke smells and looks underwhelming coming out of the bottle. Literally looks like brown water and smells something like diluted Worcestershire sauce.

I have marinated mostly ribs and pork using this product and give it an endorsement. I appreciate that this Colgin's product does two things: it offers a hint of that wonderful smokey flavor that mesquite cooking provides (granted, you have to marinade meat for a while -- like, overnight; vegetables take to the liquid smoke more quickly) and without the worry of burning off your eyelashes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog