But I cannot help making and baking items with chocolate for those people I love and/or care about.
In this instance, I resolved to make a surprise batch of chocolate-dipped strawberries. I have certainly made them in the past, but it has been year - years! I re-learned a few things in the process. In particular:
- Make sure your strawberries are not to ripe. Soft strawberries do not meld weld with piping hot, melted chocolate.
- Don't skim on the chocolate and buy those nasty Hershey button. Splurge on whatever it is your grocery story offers.
- Add a little bit of butter to your chocolate. Use your better judgement. If you find that the chocolate is thinning out a bit, add a bit more chocolate. You don't want to drown in butter, but the butter does lend a lovely, velvety flavor and sheen.
- Don't remove the stems! The strawberry stems lend a bit of romance and panache.
- Consider using a skewer through the stem to aid with the chocolate dipping.
- And make sure -- make absolute sure -- that the strawberries are completely dry and room temperature before you dip them into the chocolate.