Who's That Girl

My Photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Saturday, June 15, 2013

2013 Food Challenge: Buffalo

While living in Houston, I was always on the hunt for kolaches. I'd never heard of such a thing until visiting a cafe near my office in downtown Houston I noticed these cutesy little pastries behind the glass at the counter. I had never seen a pastry of that type. They looked to me like miniature versions of pigs in a blanket. But with more texture. More fluff. More decadence.

The perfect look for luxurious self-indulgence on my morning coffee run.

I ordered one and found that I absolutely loved the flavor of these little treats. They didn't taste like pigs in a blanket, though. From what I remember -- and it's been years since I last had one, they tasted like the distant sister of a croissant sandwich, a lovely dough, wrapped around a flavorful, tiny sausage. 

Like, the best thing ever.


Since leaving the south, I have searched everywhere for kolaches, these wondrous Czech eats. I've looked in Los Angeles and the high desert of southern California; Chicago, Cleveland and throughout Tucson and Phoenix; and at numerous airports during my travels.

Never found.

I figured that I would someday try and replicate the recipe at home and, finally, I had my chance to try.

After reading, I don't know, something like 10 kolache recipes online, I got impatient and set to work. Really, I just wanted to know how to make the dough and be on with it.

I gathered my items: yeast, flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, an egg and the buffalo meat. I even tossed some bread flour in the mix for "fun." Had no idea how that would turn out. By the time the dough was ready, it was already after 11 p.m. I decided to roll it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the oven, finishing the recipe the following day.

Upon my return, I started with the meat.

For flavoring, I went with brown sugar, roasted garlic and onion seasoning, mustard powder and dill with a pinch of kosher salt. I then formed the bison into "sausages."

I've saved myself -- and you -- the embarrassment and decided to forgo adding images of the shaped meat. Trust me, you don't care to see them. No, really. Just trust me, and remember that therapy is expensive these days. 

I also added, as an afterthought, some cheese as I rolled the meat into the dough. At the end, just before putting the rolls in the oven, I gave them an ample egg wash.

And they are looking gorgeous! At this point I'm thinking, "Awww, yeah! These are going to be amazing! I'm doing something real here!"

Started to see book deals and speaking tours in my future and everything.



It took about 35 or so minutes of baking on about 375 and they were ready.

I loved the smell and the look of the "kolaches." But I found that they didn't smell anything like I recalled. They didn't feel the way I recalled either. Turns out bison is gamey as all get out. As. All. Get. Out. Also, I realized at that very moment that I completely forgot to add baking soda to the dough.

Doh!

But I felt motivated. The flavor was good, but I cannot call these kolaches. I have so much more work to do before I am able to closely replicate these lovely little treats.

3 comments:

  1. So when will you try this again? Want to know if you are any better..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when will you try this again? Want to know if you are any better..

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when will you try this again? Want to know if you are any better..

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...