Who's That Girl

My Photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Saturday, May 4, 2013

2013 Food Challenge: Cinnamon Sticks


This was two items turned into one challenge item and, all told, took me something like four hours to produce.

It all began with an idea to produce a low carb/no carb bread made out of seeds. I chose flax seed and sunflower seeds.


I began with the grinding, using my mortar and pestle, and goodness gracious, how did the people of yesteryear do this?! I cut myself three times during the process. Three times, folks. And I got nearly a full body workout in the process.


Could this have been easier done if I had purchased already-ground seed?

Yes.

Could this have been easier if I had a coffee grinder?

Yes.



But, alas, neither was the case. It took me two full hours, a lot of sweating, a lot of fits of sheer annoyance and a lot of fist pumping motivation to turn flax and sunflower seeds into what turned out to look exactly like a brown-tinted flour.


Success!

...well, not so soon.


Making a no carb, grain free bread seemed nearly impossible. How would it bind? How would it gain lift? How would it hold flavor?

I mixed four eggs with vanilla extract, coconut milk, salt, baking powder, a tiny bit of sugar and and some water. I then mixed in the "flour" very slowly, finding that the mixture was a bit too-too wet.

Oh well.

Into the oven it went at about 350 for 22 minutes. That wasn't long enough; another 10 minutes did the trick.



I loved the smell and, though the bread seemed a bit flat, was excited to taste it.

Bummer! I should have ground the flax a bit more. You could actually taste tiny flecks of seed. Ah well, despite the crunch, I was so thrilled to have made my first grain free bread!


I shaved some cinnamon and mixed it with a little bit of sugar, thinking I would make savory and sweet cauliflower tacos with leftover oxtails.


But, alas, it was a poor mixture of frozen cauliflower and too little attention to cooking that resulted in a flat and burnt "taco shell." 

I couldn't believe it! I had so looked forward to making tacos shells out of cauliflower, especially considering that a grain free diet is my way  to go these days. I will have to try this one again. I think the trick is in making sure that the cauliflower doesn't turn into a mashed potato-like texture, which was the case here.

Ah well.

Utterly frustrated, I simply sliced off a piece of bread, topped it with a slice of mozzarella and some of the fresh cinnamon mixture, heated up some leftover sweet carrots and called it a night.

1 comment:

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...