Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

2013 Food Challenge: Adzuki Beans

Adzuki beans are small red beans generally used in sweet Japanese dishes. Unable to find adzuki beans, I went with their closets companion: small red beans. Yup, that's what was recommended, and that's what it said on the bag.

It has been pretty well established that I am not a fan of the majority of beans, so I wasn't sure what to do. Then, while driving home one day, I considered making a gourmet bean dip. What fun. I began with the soak.


I figured out too-too late that I had to soak the beans for hours. I opted to soak them overnight.

The next day, I was surprised to see the amount of growth in the beans. Also, they had turned a pinkish color and were a little shriveled, as though they had spent too much time in the pool. ...actually, yes, that's exactly right. They spent too much time in the pool. You know what your fingers and toes look like after a long swim? That's what they looked like the day after.

I immediately took a taste and, wow -- realization! I forgot I had to actually cook the freakin' beans!

Into a deep skillet they went with sauteed onions, garlic, kosher salt, pepper, roasted onion seasoning and vegetable broth. I cooked this for about one hour, adding water after the one can of vegetable broth cooked through.

I had a flat steak leftover, so I opted to swiftly cook it on the stove. Meanwhile, I chopped up some tomatoes, an avocado and an ear of corn that I had boiled in water only.

When the beans were done cooking, I put them in a food processor, reserving some to mix after processing to aid with the structure of what would become a bean tower.

Then came the plating.

Served with a dollop of sour cream and purple chips, I was quite please with the flavor -- especially of the beans, which did not taste like kidney beans as I had feared -- and the presentation. Fancy, fancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog