Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

2013 Food Challenge: Mushrooms

Growing up, my mother would call every variation of mushrooms "fungus." Simple and straightforward, she spoke with such vindication when referencing what I learned later in life was, literally, a sort of fungal growth.

I revel now in the fact that my blog actually has a category label for "mushrooms."


I enjoy mushrooms. Very much. May they be served in soups, stuffed, in a salad, eaten raw, sauteed with lamb, cooked up with bean sprouts and scallions or, in this case, served with a parsley polenta.




I have limited experience cooking polenta, but I love when it is done well -- by others, often. I find that polenta reminds me of grits. And if you know me well you know that I absolutely love, love, love me some grits!


Preferably made by my mother.

Preferably with her touch of adding a bit of butter and cheese. 

Preferably when visiting my family at home. 

Ahhhhhh. 

Back to polenta. So, yes -- polenta reminds me of grits, even though they taste quite different. For the mushrooms, I sauteed them with onions and some soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder and rice wine vinegar. 

I also added some left over carne asada to the mix at the very end as an after thought, and simply because I needed to get rid of it before it went bad. 
Good save.

Served with some toast, I loved how ultra meaty it turned out, and the polenta was an excellent accompaniment to help balance out the tremendous flavor the mushroom mixte held.



No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog