Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Friday, February 1, 2013

2013 Food Challenge: Zucchini, Pt. II

The first post for this week's food challenge item wasn't enough. I wasn't overly satisfied. So I am revisiting the zucchini affair.


I like to set my ingredients out and my surface prepared before I set to work. I find it is more efficient that way. 


Honestly, there is nothing like having to add the freshly cut garlic, like, immediately and finding that not only is the garlic still nestled in its layers of blankets, but your favorite cutting knife is sitting in the sink, dirty from the beef you prepped earlier.

Arrrrgggghhhh!!!

And, no -- I am not speaking from experience.

*sheepish grin*



So, I wasn't sure what I was going with this. But in addition to the zuchinni I added squash.

What is it about zuchinni and squash? It's one of the perfect couples of the culinary world. Like salt and pepper. Eggs and bacon. Butter and Toast. Peanut Butter and Jelly (*it's peanut butter jelly time*).

Before I set out on this dish, which is basically a timbale, I thought about plating. I went with spinach, which I wilted in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil and garlic.

For the timbale, though, you need chunky, circular cuts of the zucchini and squash. I also decided to add some mushrooms to the mix with a little bit of salt.

Interestingly, this recipe required little salt at all. I actually could have done without it. 

Starting out with the zucchini and squash, I boiled a pot of broth and adding a sizable amount of dried parsley.

Like, a lot.

I wanted to give the zucchini and squash the essence of parsley, keeping some of the pieces of parsley on the vegetables for the baking. 

After boiling the vegetables in the broth, I set them out on a paper towel, intending to try and dry them a bit. There is nothing like a soggy timbale.

...actually, there is. Ever had wet bread? Not appetizing.


I also mixed some ricotta cheese with roasted tomatoes -- which had been roasted with garlic and basil. Sad to say, I did not roast them myself.


I also sauteed the mushrooms. Next came the layering.

Layer by layer, in no particular order, I build the timbales in ramekins. I then added them to a pan that had a layer of water added to submerge the ramekins by about 1/4 of their height.


Into the oven for about 35 minutes on 400.

Now, I could not resist adding some shrimp to aid with the plating, which -- along with the spinach mix -- contributed to the texture and protein quotient. 

Look how lovely that is! Perfect for Valentine's Day. Hint, hint!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!!! Zucchini and squash is most definitely one of the most natural pairings on the planet!

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog