Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

2013 Food Challenge: Edamame

How long does it take to find shelled edamame and ahi tuna?

Forever apparently.

The fourth grocery store where I made contact had the shelled edamame. Thank you Sprouts. And the third had ahi tuna. Thank you Trader Joe's.

Once finally home, I began to assemble what I would like to call the ETT -- Edamame Taco Tostada.



This dish called for a ton of ingredients:

Edamame
Sashimi-grade tuna -- fresh, not frozen
Wontons
Chives
An egg
Horseradish
Ginger
Ponzu
Rice vinegar
Wasabi (powdered is fine)
Sesame seeds
Avocado
Chinese Five Spices
Salt

I began with the edamame.

I added them to a pot of water with the ponzu and the rice vinegar and brought this to a boil for about eight minutes. I wanted them to hold their shape but to be soft all the same. I did not want to mash them. Instead, I wanted you to be able to see them when I mixed them with the avocado.


The tuna required very little work.

In a small bowl, I mixed wasabi powder, two types of sesame seeds and a tiny bit of the Chinese Five Spice along with some salt. I also let the tuna steaks rest in a little bit of ponzu for added flavor.


Beautiful steaks! I rarely cook ahi tuna. But when I do, I pay close attention and give great care -- laregly because this tuna is quite expensive. It's a robust cut, though, which means you have to work at it to turn it into a disaster.

Thankfully, the method worked: a short time seated in the ponzu, then rolled in the sesame seeds with the spice mixture, then into the skillet for a swift sear on all sides.


The base for the edamame mixture consisted of avocado, fresh ginger, chives and a bit of horseradish with a few sprinkles of the ponzu. I mashed the avocado and simply stirred in the edamame.


With the tiered fried wontons, which I cut into a circle and used the outlying square after having been washed with an egg, the plating was gorgeous. And the flavors melded together in such a lovely way.


1 comment:

  1. Aren't edamame a miracle food? The texture, the taste, the nutritional value - all spot on. Nice photos too.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog