Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, January 28, 2013

Lentils Cooked with Berbere

I have a new love addiction: red lentils.

Lawd! Doesn't matter how many times I have these -- back to back to back -- I love them.

As of late, I have enjoyed cooking them in berbere with chicken stock.

Start with your onions. Chop them up into those nice, little squares and saute until they are glistening nicely and just beginning to turn a little brown. That's when you want to drop in your fresh garlic along with the berbere. When that is nice and and fragrant, add the broth.

Some say soak lentils; some say don't bother. I tend to soak mine for about a half hour.

I then add the lentils to the broth until it cooks down. You can add some cherry tomatoes or tomato paste if you want that rich tomato flavor. I've tried this multiple ways and it always comes out fantastic!

Just cook until the lentils are soft -- but not mushy. I think I stirred mine too much here. That's why it looks like more of a mash. I'm trying to perfect the skill of being able to cook lentils and still have them turn out whole.

That would be a success! Until then, excuse me while I enjoy this bowl!

1 comment:

  1. A coincidence. Peter made a huge pot of lentil soup yesterday and we enjoyed large portions of it for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog