Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

2013 Food Challenge: Zucchini

First of all, how do you spell zucchini?

It has to fall in the list of the most-annoying-to-spell words -- like committed, definitely,
gauge, grateful, lightning, maneuver and misspell.

Ha!

OK -- back to the cooking.

So, yea to something I have actually used in cooking before but have not actually mastered!

I cannot recall the last time I cooked with zucchini. I love the look of it all chopped up. Reminds me of guacamole (another fun word to spell).

Look at that! Look at how gorgeous this vegetable is! So lovely, green and full of character.

Anyway, I had quite a few ideas for the zucchini and settled on stuffed bell peppers.

The idea came to me as I stood in the middle of the grocery store. Seriously. It helped that the grocery store did have these big, bold peppers sitting and glistening in a container right at the entrance of the produce section.

Ah, the best kind of marketing.

I then got it into my head that I wanted lamb. And corn. And scallions.

Why not? A zucchini smorgasbord (ah -- I had to look that one up for spelling). That's what we'll call this.

It literally is stuffed seam to bursting seam with all sorts of gorgeous goodness.

I mean, look at that yummy goodness!

One problem: The zucchini got completely lost in this recipe. You can't even see it in the photos here. So, yes, it looks like I began the challenge item and quit mid-sentence.

But I can assure you. The zucchini is in there.

I began with the bell peppers. I chopped off the tops, massaged them with olive oil and put them in a roasting pan for the oven at about 375 for about 20 minutes.

Then I set in on the zucchini, chopping them up along with the tops of the red bell peppers. Couldn't let those tops go to waste. The garbage can is always hungry but I try not to feed it often.

I then set out on the filling. I tend to go with the staple flavor builder -- garlic and onion. Fresh for both. Once those were nice, soft and lightly browned, I tossed in the mushrooms and swirled that around for a few minutes.

Next, I began cooking the lamb. I forgot to mentioned that I had massaged the lamb mince with some brown sugar, cumin and pepper. I let that sit for about 20 minutes, then set it in a skillet over a high heat. I forgot how much I cannot stand cooking lamb. The fat yield is insanely impressive, and not in a positive way. Skim the fat juices.

Then I tossed in the flavor base and let this cook until it was ready. Toward the end, I added the corn and some scallions, stuffed this into the peppers and baked, again at 375, for about 15 minutes.

I think my favorite thing about this recipe is that it turned out to be quite simple, and yet so-so flavorful. So. Full. Of. Flavor. Want to impress someone for dinner? It's a definite try.


1 comment:

  1. Zucchini is a mystery. Such a prolific grower/producer; such a problem to use well. Okay, so it got buried in with your lamb, etc. Your body knows it's there and will take advantage of its nutritional value. Thanks for the reminder about stuffed peppers.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog