Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Saturday, December 29, 2012

In Love with Entertaining

 
INFJ: Introverted, iNtuitive, Feeling, Judging.

That is my Myers-Briggs personality type. I was first tested as a freshman in college; again just a couple of years ago. And, still, I am a solid INFJ.

It is true that the sign of introversion is not mere anti-social behavior.

Still, I find it sometimes surprising that I love entertaining a house full of guests -- whether family or dear friends -- and, yet, am a solid introvert. I remind myself that being an introvert does not mean what we have been told in popular media and common conversations.

Introversion is not merely about being reclusive, shy and against socializing with others. Introversion is really about being consumed with the inner workings of the mind -- thinking and processing.  

It is no wonder, then, that when preparing for a party I spend time thinking about the obvious and not so obvious for my guests:
  • I am sure to have purified water on hand, with cups on the ready. 
  • I set out not only forks, but also knives for those of us who are a bit more concerned with stylized eating -- even during an informal potluck.
  • I set the not-so-obvious-pairings near one another. 
  • Setting the space for gatherings, I am offer an arrangement and seating for different types -- for those who prefer to stand and chat; other areas for those who want to sit and lounge; and I keep the front room gentle in ambiance for those who want to get away to a less busy room for more intimate conversation. 
  • And when I make my playlist, I am sure to mix up some mellow and high-energy music, keeping the volume to that of one's indoor speaking voice. 
That is the sign of introversion. I am constantly thinking of the comfort of my guests and working to make sure they have what they want and need.

So accepting that I am both an introvert and a lover of entertaining, I can appreciate that there is no contradiction there; that there is nothing strange or obscure about being an introvert -- who I am -- and entertaining groups of people I love -- what I so enjoy doing.

2 comments:

  1. You are an extrovert in my book. I never give that much thought to entertaining (perhaps I should. I wonder if the Myers-Briggs test is available on-line. BTW, where's the dog?

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog