Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Lazy Crockpot-Style BBQ Pulled Pork

Found a beautiful pork shoulder and decided to slow cook it in the crockpot.

Now, we know that I am highly selective about pork.

Highly. 

I even have a hard time with bacon. If you are looking at me like this ---> shock face < --- please don't.

All that to say that I wasn't sure what to do with the cut. I don't have a smoker and there is no way I would roast such a cut for hours upon hours. So the optimal cooking procedure called for a crockpot.

I began with the layer of flavoring -- onion, leeks, garlic, garlic salt, black pepper and seasoned salt. I may have tossed in some cumin and ground mustard. Seems like something I would do but, honestly, I cannot recall.

I then added orange juice and about two cups of water because, uh oh, I forgot to get broth.

It worked out in the end.

Adding the pork shoulder, I cooked the lot for about eight hours in the crock pot -- the easy, lazy way.

I wasn't exactly sure how this would turn out. One thing that drives me nuts is soaping wet meat when it is nowhere near being a stew.

I wasn't going for a stew here, but after the cooking time, that's almost what it looked like.

So, quick thinking: I removed the meat, placing it in a foil-lined pan. I put the oven to 400 degrees, slathered the shreds of pork in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, then put it in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.

The result: Decadent.

The flavor was just amazing. The meat with so soft and gentle. Not the stringy kind you get with a failed attempt at pulled pork.

I was quite impressed, and believe that the orange juice and BBQ sauce made the dish.

Goodness. The darkened tips were just golden!


1 comment:

  1. The orange juice would certainly help tenderize the meat, although with 8 hours of cooking you could tenderize a shoe.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog