Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Shank + Sprouts = Layers of Flavor

 
I absolutely love bean sprouts. Love them. I can enjoy them raw. Or in a stir-fry, vegetarian or meat-eater style. I enjoy them sauteed with sesame oil or ponzu; I so enjoy them when they are wrapped in eggrolls or spring rolls. They are also wonderful in kimchi dishes.

Every way I've tried them, I've been satisfied.

On this particular evening, I slow cooked beef shank in chicken broth along with onion and garlic along with a few pieces of anise.

But first, I seared the meat, having seasoned it with cumin, garlic salt and onion powder. Then they went into the pot of broth for about 1.5 hours.

Toward the end of cooking, I added the carrots. Meanwhile, I chopped up the cabbage and, drizzled with a tiny bit of olive oil and dried parsley, put it into the fridge until the meat was prepared.

Served over raw bean sprouts and the raw cabbage, this was a wonderful, hearty meal. And I was so pleased that, given the length of time the meat cooked, the marrow melted into the mix, creating a rich, deep flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog