Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Bacon-Wrapped Catfish with Bean Sprouts

I rarely cook with bacon, and when I do, I make it memorable.

I am not sure how this crazy idea was born. I had a mad craving for catfish and, alas, had some bacon in the fridge.

 I intended to use that bacon for breakfast, but while trying to figure out how I wanted to prepare the catfish, a crazy thought appeared:

Roasted bacon-wrapped catfish.

OK -- so the process didn't turn out the way I imagined.

First, I seasoned the catfish with Old Bay seasoning and dried parsley, then gently wrapped them in bacon.

I then baked the rolls at 400 for about 14 minutes.

I found that the fish was cooked nearly through, but the bacon still looked pinkish.

In a mad dash, and without the panic, I thought of a solution. I would have to fry the rolls. 

Bleeeccchhhhtttt! I believe I have mentioned it before, but it's worth mentioning again: I cannot stand the sight or smell of bacon frying. I am not sure why, but the smell is simply terrible to me. But when it is cooked through, I find that I can enjoy bacon quite well. I feel the same with eggs, strangely.

I pulled out one of my skillets and, on the highest temperature, tried a swift-cook on the bacon.

This worked out very well, and the bacon cooked very fast, while the catfish remained somewhat soft, but seared on the ends.

Back into the oven.

I cooked the rolls for another 15 minutes or so. At that point, they were ready.

I love the flavor, but found that the roll was very heavy! Maybe I will use only one or two strips of bacon next time.

The accompaniment consisted of swift-fried bean sprouts with fresh spinach. For flavoring, I used sesame oil and a little bit of ponzu. Despite the seemingly strange mash-up, everything turned out to go quite well together.
 

1 comment:

  1. One good thing about catfish, it can stand up to some serious cooking time. I wonder if a couple of minutes in the microwave would give the bacon a head start. Then after it cools you could wrap the fish in it. I'll give it a try sometime soon and report back.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog