Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Friday, August 10, 2012

Product Review: Emperor's Kitchen Organic Whole Shiitake Mushrooms


Wow. These mushrooms were pretty amazing. If you can get your hands on a bag of Emperor's Kitchen Organic Whole Shiitake Mushrooms I highly recommend them.

I found these at our local co-op. I have no memory of ever using dried mushrooms. In fact, I couldn't see the point.

But I couldn't pass these up.

I mean, goodness! Look at that lovely label. So alluring. So inviting. Bold red and orange hues. That's what got me from the start. Turning my head and taking one step back in the aisle, I noticed "USDA Organic" in bold on the front. Turning my body toward the bag, I was struck by the size and complete roundness of these gorgeous mushrooms.

There was no time for courtship. I slipped the bag into my handbasket, and we were off to explore the world of culinary delight together!

Thus far, I have used them in that fake boeuf bourguignon and the pasta-less pasta. I also tried them raw (*Note to self, and others: Never, ever do that. Ever).

The mushrooms give off such a wonderful, deep smell. Now, we've been told that mushrooms should never smell. It wasn't that kind of smell. It just smelled like, well, shiitake mushrooms. Deep, heavy and full of earth.

And when cooked, these are crazy-insane meaty. These plump heavies taste almost like a cut of beef. Seriously. I could have had an entire bowl of these mushrooms all alone, teeming in a pool of sultry broth.

Actually...I might just do that.

1 comment:

  1. Not only do I have these, I'm using a few in a stir-fry tonight - a dish called "ants climbing a tree" from the Sichuan region of China. It is said that over history the Asians used dried mushrooms as/or more often than fresh because they needed to preserve them and preferred the rich flavor that comes from the dried 'shrooms.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog