Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Meat and Veggie-Filled Hotdish

I had never heard of hotdish or hot dish or hottish -- I am still not sure the correct spelling or punctuation -- until a co-worker mentioned it at a staff retreat.

She is from the midwest, and has fond memories of the dish.

To me, is like a shepherd's pie without the mashed potatoes but tater tots instead.

Curious.

Actually, this is now reminding me of that wonderful shepherd's pie I made a while back. That was pretty nice, but not something I choose to eat at the moment.

In fact, I didn't eat this hotdish either.

Anyway, what I gather is that the hotdish is a type of baked casserole. It's nothing like the type of casserole I grew up eating, which tended to have chicken and something like carrots and a creamed soup or pasta with ground beef -- think Hamburger Helper

Actually, we did enjoy our Hamburger Helper growing up. I can't quite recall the ones we tended to eat, but I vaguely remember a cheesy macaroni and a pasta beef of some sort.

But something changed as an adult. I lost interest in a huge way.

But something snapped once last year while walking down the aisle with Hamburger Helper box. I saw one with tuna on the cover. Tuna? Have you ever had a tuna casserole? At that point I never had, and had never heard of such a thing. I decided to check out the box and it's nutritional information. I immediate thought: "I can rock this without the insane amounts of salt." Without the box, I made it at home and nearly fell over in my chair with the first taste!

But here I am, making hotdish...or trying. As with everything that I have no experience in or knowledge of, I set out to the Internet.

A Google search yielded disparate results, and rightfully so. One think I understand about casserole dishes is that they can be just as varied as our various nationwide regions. 


I opted to go for a ground beef casserole with cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups and a ton of vegetables. OK, that is an exaggeration. I went with corn, peas, carrots and green beans.

I then topped off this heaping mass with tater tots. I was told that there is no hotdish without the tater tots. Goodness, I cannot even remember the last time I'd purchased tater tots.

I understand that it is customary to also add shredded cheese. I went with cheddar cheese.

At work the next day, the dish was a hit. I made a pan at 9-by-13 and by the day's end there was only 1.5 servings left.

What a compliment!



1 comment:

  1. I am all for this. It sounds very retro and I've been assembling a book of stuff from the 50's. This could almost go in there as is. Heck, I'd eat it.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog