Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My First Perfectly Poached Egg

Finally, and for the first time, I have successfully poached an egg in the traditional form.

OK -- the egg was not a 100 percent perfect orb of egg whites, fully encapsulating the yolk. But it was perfect to me.

The egg whites were delicate; demanding of respect, requiring a tenderness with the fork. This was not an egg to be gobbled down, but one that had to be respected. Revered. Noted with intense curiosity.

I was partially driven by amazement: Did I -- *me* -- finally poach an egg in a way that is edible and visually appealing? Did I just create that?

I added nothing to the water. No vinegar. No baking soda. No magic. Only patience and more patience -- and boiled water. That was all that was required. In the end, the poached egg was dressed with a little bit of salt and pepper.

When dressed, I stood there, looking over the egg. Astonished, surprised. At that moment, it was a near perfect orb. The shapely yolk was plump beneath the blanketed glair. And with a gentle poke, the egg let loose its delicate center.

Golden. Ripe. Rich. Inviting.

Lovely.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog