Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Cold Chicken Curry Salad

There are a few restaurants and markets in town that sell chicken curry salad. I remember the first time I had it -- years ago at what was once the corner market near campus.

The salad was sold in 6-ounce containers at nearly $3. At the time, I thought this was a steal. But, over the years, I have seen that same container marked up to nearly $6 at locations elsewhere.

Just this week, I was at one of our markets and saw a container going or about $5. That was it! I wondered: Really, people! How hard can it be to make this at home for a portion of the price?

The answer: Not. Not hard at all.

It's best to have a nice cut of chicken breast. For this recipe, I went with two along with an ample amount of celery, red onions, three garlic cloves, scallions, a few squirts of fresh lemon juice and about two tablespoons of powered curry. I am not certain how much coconut milk I used -- maybe about 1/4 of a cup.

Also, it seems that this salad is always made with mayonnaise. But I chose coconut milk because A. I do not have mayonnaise at home and B. I do not like the look, smell or taste of mayonnaise on its own -- not even to scoop a spoonful out into a bowl.

That's another story for another time. 

I slowly cooked the chicken breasts in a skillet. I had seasoned them with garlic salt and pepper -- just enough to give the meat some sort of a base flavor. I had cut the chicken into chunks but, while cooking, found that they were still too large, so I tried to cut them with the spatula while in the skillet. The chunks were still way too large in the end. Shredded chicken next time, perhaps?

With the chicken done, I whisked together the curry and coconut milk, tossed or squeezed in the rest of the ingredients, then added the chicken.

The initial flavor was heavy on curry. I felt immediately disappointed, thinking I had done a terrible, terrible job. But I recalled that this salad is always served cold. So I put it in the fridge for about two hours. Coming back for a taste, I felt I had begun to levitate. It was MUCH improved!

It was wonderful, though still not a good as the restaurants perhaps because of the lack of mayonnaise, salt, butter, creme or whatever else they may add to entice Americanized taste buds. But the flavor was full and delicious enough. This seems the perfect dish for potlucks and picnics. I will certainly be making this again!



1 comment:

  1. First of all, I am pleased that you are able to post more frequently (perhaps due to less commitment to school-related things?). It wouldn't have occurred to me to use coconut milk, but next time I will (I just made chicken salad yesterday ... yes, with mayo).

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog