Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Juicy Marinade with Hoisin

This marinade was juicy! Or, better yet, jooo-say! 

Don't bother measuring these things out -- just add to taste: Hoisin sauce, honey Dijon mustard, ponzu, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic and lemon.

I went heavy on the Hoisin and the rice vinegar and squeezed in a half lemon.

I also put in about a half-thumb-sized shaving of ginger and added six garlic cloves. I should have gone a little bit more on the garlic. Turns out that six cloves just wasn't enough to bring out the full flavor I was looking for.


Lots going on, eh? Your mouth will thank you later.

I didn't have time to marinade the chicken -- I chose boneless chicken thighs for this recipe -- for 12 hours, so I tried a two-point method. I baked the chicken in the marinade, then sauteed it in the skillet until browned.

It worked out well. It gave a slight glaze to the chicken and a bit of char, which I think balanced the meat out a bit. The thigh was so succulent and soft that I imagine it would have felt as though it were swimming over the tongue while eating. With the charring allowing for more texture, it gave the teeth something to grip onto.

Strange description?

...though, in retrospect, I would have gone with a little less hoisin. Why? I like the slight sweetness hoisin offered, especially given that this was a meat-centric meal.

But I am not a huge fan of hoisin.

I find this strange myself, considering that I have two containers of hoisin -- for a reason unknown to me -- in the fridge. I think it's something about the vinegar. It's both the flavor and the feel.

For me, hoisin falls strangely to the sides of the tongue.

I find that I prefer foods that activate the taste buds to the front and middle of my tongue. Ah well, I was pleased with the results.


1 comment:

  1. I used to make stir-fries a lot with hoisin sauce.
    The marinade sounds like a great idea to use up the rest of hoisin in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog