Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, March 5, 2012

A Plumped Up Shepherd's Pie

I finally made a Shepherd's Pie. I didn't have time to study recipes -- I just went at it. And I am mostly pleased with the results.

So this dish is packed with protein and carbs, but I opted to try and get as many vegetables in as humanely possible so that I wouldn't be weeping into my plate as I tried to enjoy my food. So, yes -- this is the guilt-free version, or as guilt-free as it could possibly be without being vegan.

This was an easy go: I boiled the Yukon gold potatoes in garlic salt and pepper.While they were going, I browned the meat, adding some spices. Then I removed the ground beef from the skillet and added the yellow onions, shallots, pearl onions and some shallots and garlic. I also added some zucchini and yellow squash slices. I did not add any seasoning or herbs.

When this was nice and soft, I moved the onion family aside and began working on the gravy. I realized too late that I had finished off the last of that broth, so I just mixed some Worcestershire sauce and water, then added a bit of flour until I had a nice gravy going.

Then I added the meat to the mix, along with the corn, green beans, peas and carrots and, lastly, the onion family. I also added some onion powder, cayenne and thyme.

Turns out the pie would have benefited from a ton more vegetables! Especially corn. That had a nice flavor to it.

Meanwhile, I mashed the strained potatoes, adding pepper, a bit of butter, yogurt, sour cream and rice milk. I set everything in a baking dish with the oven at 400 degrees and cooked this for about 45 minutes.

I guess you can call this a culinary mash up because it certainly is not a traditional Shepherd's Pie. But not bad! I am glad I made that gravy. It helped to keep the ground beef moist. Also, despite using so little butter, the potatoes were a nice treat. A thin crust began to form along the top that poked kind of like crème brûlée when I stuck my finger -- yes, my finger -- in it.

Along with a side salad that had fresh cucumbers, cabbage, avocado and dulse, it was a nice, round and seemingly healthy meal (courtesy of my dear friend, Mo).

No weeping necessary.

1 comment:

  1. Peter really likes to make shepherd's pie. I have no explanation for it, but I don't care much for it. It's weird, because I love every component that goes into it. Yours looks very special.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog