Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Banana Bread -- Eck for me, Popular for Them

This is what I have decided: I loathe the look, the feel, the texture, the smell and the taste of bananas.

Yep.

I didn't realize this until someone in my office challenged me to make banana bread. I have never made banana bread. I have no memory of even tasting it. And I do not eat bananas.

Challenge accpeted.

I studied about a dozen or so recipes, learning that the bananas had to be extra ripe. I let these sit out for almost a week and this is as ripe as they'd gotten. I was impatient, wanting to make this bread soon. So I set to work.

I went with flour, sugar, cinammon, vanilla extract, a few eggs, sour cream, plain yogurt, salt, baking soda, butter and of course, the detested bananas. Very, very simple.

The eck-factor came in as I was mashing and mashing and mashing the bananas. The consistency was just horrendous. Horrendous, folks. Even more so after adding the sour cream and yogurt. Blecht! A little bit of the mixture got on my thumb. Ack! Worst moment ever. Yes, it was that bad. No, I am not exaggerating.

I baked this for about an hour. It came out nicely. I think I should have cooked this at 350 or 375 because the sides were nicely browned, but the inside was still somewhat soft. Not mushy, just too-too soft, I thought. But it was popular at work, so there you have it.

I don't know how it tasted. I couldn't bare to try.


3 comments:

  1. Girl, you've got to buck up and try stuff. From the look of it the banana bread was spot on. I'd like to start a group of folks who have aversions (not allergies - that's completely different). We would all agree to select from menus submitted for our despised ingredient, cook it, and EAT IT. I don't know what my problem thing would be. I like everything. We'll deal with that later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, I am the same way. I don't like banana bread. I also don't like fish but the family loves it so I make it but won't eat it. I can barely stand to taste it for seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! That's a hard one -- a dislike of fish?! But, yeah -- the banana bread is pretty terrible to me. I don't care how lovely it looks, smells and tastes, I just cannot get into the bananas.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog