Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, March 19, 2012

Anise-Scented Chicken and Vegetables


This was a simple, no nonsense meal – chicken and vegetables.

So, I’ve been on this peas and carrots kick for a couple of months. I buy them in bulk at my grocery store and toss them into the freezer. I have managed to get peas and carrots into about four meals this week. Yes – slightly obsessed.

With this particular recipe, I seasoned the chicken with a ton of onion powder and some garlic salt, cayenne and fresh lemon. I then browned the chicken in a heavy pot, tossed in some onions and then poured in some chicken broth, scraping the bits from the bottom of the pot for added flavor. I then added a ton of pepper and one star anise and let this cook slowly for three hours.

Toward the end of cooking, I added the peas and carrots along with some celery and let this cook for about another half hour and served it with freshly steamed rice.

In the end, I should have charred the skin because the meat softened quite a bit in the process. Or, I could have boiled it for a shorter period of time, using a fry/boil method. Or, I could have just cooked it without the skin. I’ll have do experiment quite a bit more with this in the future because it is a good dish and holds very well over night.

1 comment:

  1. If only you and I could spend a weekend in the kitchen, we could make magic. I'm only doing leftovers today, but they are quality leftovers!!!

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog