Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, February 27, 2012

The Meeting of Pearl Rice and Spiced Shrimp

I have learned something new. It is little chubby, round. Succulent and sweet. Requires patience and attentional.

Pearl rice.

I had never heard of such a thing when, a couple weeks back, I was grocery shopping for jasmine rice. Sitting nearby was a bulbous bag of chubby short grain rice. It almost didn't catch my eye. At the first side glance, I thought it was merely sushi rice.

But no. Not at all.

Pearl rice is technically in the same family or genre or camp as sushi rice. It's short and round and sticky and semi-sweet. But somewhat different in comparison to sushi rice. I can't put my finger on it just yet. It certainly is less finicky. That's obvious. Sushi rice is so tender and requires such attention. Think of pearl rice as the older, more mature and less high maintenance and, yet, still so decadent.

Yep. That explains it.

But what to go along with it?

I opted for a shrimp dish with an assortment of vegetables and herbs: Onion, red bell peppers, garlic, cilantro, parsley and this spicy chili seasoning one of my co-workers gifted to me during the holiday season.

I cooked the rice alone in my rice cooker, meanwhile, I sautéed the vegetables alone. I had marinated the shrimp in mirin and ponzu sauce then added chicken broth along with some rice milk. I cooked this at a rapid boil until the shrimp was ready, then served it along with the pearl rice.
 Yum yum! My belly was pleased. Good food for the soul, too.



1 comment:

  1. A lovely recipe and a lovely photo. Sometimes I crave a rice cooker, but I've lived without one all my life and will continue to make do. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog