Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Vegetable and Shrimp Pasta in Peanut Sauce

Why do I always underestimate the immense power of broccoli.

What a way to back into a post, eh?

So, I wanted to make something heavy with vegetables because: A. I recently saw Forks over Knives. Goodness gracious! What a documentary (read: Social commentary on an overdose of conscious-dripped steroids). B. My body has been craving veggies. Especially green ones.

Saying that, I now realize how defeatist adding the shrimp turns out to be. Yeah, there's shrimp in there. See 'em now?

*sigh*

Moving on.

I went to town. Snow pea. Regular peas. Broccoli (apparently, not enough, though), carrots. Green onions. A vegetarian smorgasbord!!! ...well, except for the shrimp.

Making this dish was super simple. I started with the shrimp, letting them sit for I don't recall how long in fresh lemon juice and some mirin. I then set to boiling vermicelli. Now, I am not sure what kind of vermicelli this is, but it was slightly larger than I expected, and it wasn't translucent in the same way I am accustomed to seeing vermicelli. So, really, it was quite similar to chunky angel hair pasta.

Hum...suspicious.

While the pasta was boiling, I put a little bit of water in a pan and tossed in the broccoli. I should have added twice as much, because the  broccoli turned out to be a stupendous addition to the dish! The texture was perfect. And the way it held the flavor of of the sauce -- brilliant! Especially alongside less porous additions such as the peas, carrots and shrimp, the broccoli tasted mighty fine.

So, after the broccoli, in went all of the vegetables -- except the green onions. I added those at the very end. But while all this was cooking, I added a smattering of sesame oil. I had meant to add corn from a cob and also ginger but, oops, I forgot about them in the process. Bummer. I think that would have helped round out the flavor a bit more.

In the end, I tossed this with the strained vermicelli in a bowl with a sauce I had prepared using peanut sauce and rice vinegar. Near perfection! It was lively and light and didn't need a single side. ...just more broccoli. 


1 comment:

  1. You are a lot of fun. We love broccoli too. It's not quite the season for pasta primavera yet, but it will be ere long.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog