Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cheese, Peppers, Onion, Broccoli Quiche

Quiche is one of those fabulous dishes that, while looking at a restaurant menu, startles me to see the charge.

Really? $8 for a single, thin slice of quiche, and with no fruit on the side? It's just eggs, crust and vegetables after all!

Mainly for that reason, I have wanted to make a quiche for the longest time.

For years.

I finally gained some courage one evening,  realizing I had all these wonderful ingredients. I  ended up going for onions, red bell peppers, bacon, broccoli, swiss cheese and mozzarella.

Full disclosure: I didn't make the pie crust -- not this time anyway.

I slowly cooked the onions in butter. I didn't want to caramelize them, but I did want them to be soft and golden. More than halfway through the process, I added the chopped red bell pepper. When this was nearly complete, I cooked the bacon until it was nicely browned. I wanted the bacon to turn out crispy.

Side note: I do not like cooking bacon. Not at all. I do not like the way it looks while it is cooking. I do not like the way it smells while it's cooking, especially maple bacon. Blecht! I also do not like watching it render its fat.

Anyway, I then rolled out the dough, buttering the dish first.

Then, in a sauce pan, I added heavy cream and the broccoli. I tried not to boil this, adding the peppers, onion and cheese as the mixture began to boil. I also crumbled the bacon into the pan. Eck! It felt just gross in my hands.

I then added about four whisked eggs and some egg whites to the mix before pouring it in the dish.

Set the oven to about 350 for 35 minutes or so and there you have it. I spread a bit of butter on top right as it came out of the oven.

So nice! It was slightly fluffy with the perfect density. To the taste, it was full -- round and luscious just like I enjoy my meals.

Next time I will add lots more broccoli and cheese, but I was quite pleased with the turnout. Quite please.

1 comment:

  1. I love quiche. Haven't made any for a while, but this post is going to cause me to change that.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog