Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Imitation Ikea Meatballs

This was one of those workplace challenges. The first time a co-worker gave me a food challenge, I produced A Bundt Full of Fists.

This time, a different co-worker asked me to make imitation Ikea meatballs with the accompanying sauce. Not being the type who enjoys desserts, I was pleased to make this one knowing I would actually eat it.

But I had never had these meatballs, so I wasn't sure how they were meant to taste. I turned to the Interwebs.

After reading about a half dozen or so recipes, I had it set in my mind that I would use ground beef and ground pork. I wanted to include ground lamb, but couldn't find any in stock.

I started with the chopped onion, cooking them slowly in olive oil. I also began boiling the chopped potatoes. Then I prepped the meat.

Now, something you must know about me -- if I have yet to mention it -- is that I cannot stand getting my hands dirty. Yes, it's true. A cook who has a revulsion of dirty hands? It can happen, apparently. So, the meat was the most difficult part.

I seasoned the meat with pepper, then made a mock allspice using nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves (I thought I had allspice, but apparently it ran off with my favorite serving spoon). This worked out quite well, I think. I sprinkled this over the meat, adding a little bit of garlic salt, then mashed this like crazy with my hands. Eck!

Once the potatoes and onions had cooled to the point where I could handle them, I mashed them into the meat as well. I did the same with some breadcrumbs I had made in the food processor. I wanted to use panko, but forgot I had finished the bag off a couple days prior.

I then put a little flour on a cutting board and proceeded to make one meatball mound -- the tester. I found that I needed a bit more mock allspice, so I made about another tablespoon of it, including it in the mix. Wouldn't you know it, I had to mash this again! Goodness -- I hadn't washed my hands so much.

I did not make another tester -- I just got to business. Once they were all rounded, I cooked them in butter. A ton of butter. Thank goodness everyone was only allotted two or three of these. As they were cooking, I made the sauce, which was quite simple -- add the beef broth, then some sour cream and milk and slowly cook until it thickens. Feel free to add flour if you are having trouble getting the consistency you like.

Eat and enjoy. They turned out to be quite popular. And I first had reservations about adding breadcrumbs and potatoes, but it turned out to be a good idea to help with keeping the shape and a good consistency. In all, I think I made something like 30 of these and I am pleased to report that not a single one was left behind. 


1 comment:

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog