Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, November 28, 2011

Almost-Vegetarian Pot Pie Love

Ah, the pot pie -- warm, savory, full. I grew up eating chicken pot pies. I loved the neatly folded crust, the creamy filling, the chunks of soft chicken.

The way in which one eats a pot pie is just as noteworthy.

Some just dive right in.

Others puncture the round crust, then fork the darker round crust into the center.

Some leave the outer crust for last. I'm that kind of leave-the-outer-crust-for-last type of person. But preparing a pot pie in such a manner requires time and diligence -- both of which came in short supply the evening I chose to make my first pot pie.

The recipe was actually quite simple. Actually, that is misleading. I did not follow a particular recipe. I had read pot pie recipes in the past and was quite familiar with the process, so I just winged it. Start to finish, this took about 1.5 hours.

I began with the buttery rosemary potatoes I blogged about before.

Next, I prepped the filling.

I slowly cooked chopped onions in a tiny bit of olive oil. In a separated pot I added the cream of chicken soup (hence it is an almost-vegetarian pot pie), adding some black pepper, dried parsley and onion powder.

When this was prepared -- just warm -- I tossed in the mixed vegetables, which included peas, carrots, green peas and carrots.

I did not bother steaming them in advance, but I did soak them in water to remove the frost. I found that steaming them was completely unnecessary in the end. Then, I added the rosemary potatoes to the mix.

Next, I moved this mixture to a dutch oven. I had already rolled out the biscuits -- yes, I used biscuits instead of making the dough from scratch -- so that I ended up with a single, flat biscuit. This turned out perfectly. I then placed it over the mixture in the dutch oven, slathered it with some melted butter and popped it in the oven for about 35 minutes.

The result: Decadence. 

I did not use any meat, which turned out to be just fantastic!

...but, OK, so the biscuits were good, but not amazing. I really should have mad the crust from scratch. But for a swift, easy meal, this was good enough. I especially believe that the parsley and rosemary were both excellent additions. The filling had the right amount of vegetables and a good texture. I cannot wait to try this again, perhaps adding mushrooms, paprika and garlic.


2 comments:

  1. This looks so comforting and delicious! I want a big bowl of it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken pot pie was a part of my childhood, although I don't have very clear memories of how my mother did it. I'm thinking I'd like to put puff pastry over the top.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog