Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tilapia with Neighborly Friends

It had been some time since I had made a fancy meal for another.

I knew I wanted to go with tilapia -- because my dear friend is a fan of this particular fish -- and some sort of vegetable mix along with broccoli.

For some reason, I had a mad craving for broccoli. But, really, it's no surprise. Corn and broccoli are, indeed, two of my favorite vegetables.

I think I had the food presentation in mind before I even began cooking.

I began boiling the corn on the cob and then started on the fish.

In a bowl, I stirred together olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon, dried parsley and paprika.

I then marinated the fish in this beautiful mixture for about 15 minutes.

It occurred to me later that I should have picked up some mango while at the grocery store.

It seems this is the common way to make this sort of vegetable-based side dish. 

...then it occurred to me that mango is no longer in season, so no point in that.

Next, I started in on the broccoli. .

I opted to use a broccoli and cheese rice soup, reducing it all the way down so that I would be able to serve it as a side, not a soup. I also added bunches of additional shavings of broccoli to the mix when it was nearly done cooking. In all, I let this cook according to instruction.

Then, I began on the corn-based mix.

This required sautéing onion and red bell peppers.

When the vegetables were ready, I tossed in the shaved corn and added about one tablespoon for butter.

I let this cook for about eight minutes. I then let it cool, tossing in the fresh cilantro and red onions at the very end and setting this aside for the plating.

I waited until everything else was complete before cooking the tilapia, which I pan fried.

Quite delicious and feeling, and with a lovely presentation! The first plated the broccoli rice, then the vegetables, nestling the tilapia directly in the middle.

I was quite pleased, and Jackson said he felt the same.

2 comments:

  1. How I wish you and I could entertain each other by cooking together. I have mixed feelings about tilapia. Do you do catfish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE catfish! It was the fish of choice in Southern California. Why the reservations about tilapia?

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog