Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, November 7, 2011

Product Review: Don Pancho Mole

It seems the world is in turmoil, and life is difficult at times, and yet I still find that there is something so beautiful, so pure and endearing in sharing a meal with others.

Also, cooking for oneself remain a critical practice, especially when you have access to *good* food -- nutritious, nurturing and preferably local food.

Cooking at home using basic ingredients and fresh items, I believe, has a great potential to breed discipline and a deep desire to be more selective about the food products you consume.

At least this is true for me.

And so, those are reasons enough to remain devoted to cooking wholesome home prepared dishes.

I miss regularly cooking, and I miss this blog. And, thus, it is with this post that I intend to return to you.

A dear colleague of mine brought back a bag of powdered mole, gifting it to me because she was well aware of my love for cooking.

Don Pancho's mole atocpan is full and densely flavored. But it does not carry the strong chocolate essence I am accustomed to smelling and tasting when I have had mole. Instead, it carries the sharp tinge of spices.

This mole appears to be quite divergent from the mole I am accustomed to having in the southwest -- there is a divergent range of mole sauces and pastes, I have come to realize. This was my first time preparing mole from either a powder or paste.

The produce has an earthy smell and taste to it. Indeed, it looks like beautifully produced soft soil. To the taste, you can capture hints of chocolate, but the chile is overpowering -- especially the ancho.

I do like the product but might add a little bit of oil to the product when producing the sauce. Merely using broth was not efficient to develop the appropriate consistency or flavor.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I had no idea there was a mole mix like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being surrounded by renowned schools including Cedar
    Primary School, Maris Stella High School (Primary), and the St.
    Andrew's Village suite of Kindergarten to Junior College education. the interlace

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog