Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Seaweed on Spam


Put this in the section of: Yes, I made that. And, yes, I ate that.

Based on my very peripheral knowledge, I understand that musubi is a popular snack in Hawaii. Often, it includes Spam, rice and seaweed, but you can also find musubi served with eggs and, instead of Spam, katsu chicken or with vegetables.

Now, I try not to be a food snob. Nothing worse than one, right? Especially when there are whole populations on this planet that would look at "American" cuisine and grimace at the thought of eating fast food cheeseburgers, sauce-soaked chicken wings, deep fried anything, pickled pigs feet or "Beanee Weenee." Really? Beanee Weenee, eh?

So this is how it goes: I was visiting my family in California when, one day, I opt for Hawaiian BBQ. It's hard to find good Hawaiian BBQ here. We have two locations that I know of. One of which is OK; the other I haven't tried. But back home, I saw musubi on the menu and without asking what is is, what's in it, how it's made, what it tastes like, I order one.

To me, it looks like Frankenstein's foot -- boot and all. But I took my first bite and I love it! Loved it! Granted, I thought it could be done much fresher than served, so I opted to try it at home. (Oops! There's the food snob!)

Enter Google.

Type "musubi."

Read with horror.

It contains Spam?!

I do not ever recall having ever willingly tried Spam in my life. This was the quasi meat we made fun of as children even though we didn't know what it was. That was all the fun, right! Making fun of something you knew nothing about. *sad*

Moving on in the conversation. So, yes -- I jotted down the essentials: Spam, seaweed, sushi rice. Seems basic. I had all but the Spam.

I decided to add some extras, and I had a backup meal in case I failed with this one.

I got the sushi rice going and waited until it was done before frying the Spam. When it was nearly done, I began cooking the panko. I also had some rice seasoning on hand, so I pulled that out. I also made some wasabi (too thin, though. Should have added less water) and prepped the rice vinegar with salt and sugar for the sushi rice. I also cut up some avocado.

Then I assembled everything, adding a garlic hot sauce just for fun.

Pretty good! It was actually better than I recall. It was nice and fresh -- not greasy at all. And I expected the meat to taste like brains, but it tasted like...I don't know...a cut of ham without the rendered fat.

I understand the seaweed should wrap around the musubi, but I couldn't figure out how to do this without a mold.

...as I am typing this, I realized I could have used a biscuit cutter. Crud!

Anyway -- yes. These were pretty good.

Will I be making them again? Yes!

Will I be making them anytime soon? Probably not.

Do I recommend that you try these at home? Yes! And feed them to your family.

6 comments:

  1. What a hoot! I'm a great believer in blanching Spam to reduce salt and some fat. I'm going to have to learn more about this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I read more stuff about musubi. My gosh, a person can actually buy a musubi press!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! It is true. And blanching Spam?! Look at me learning about this decades old culinary curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Later in the week I will be inserting a link to you in a posting titled "50's week". The main thrust will be Spam and Velveeta recipes. I'm writing my third cookbook and it's all about these two ubiquitous 50's ingredients. I happen to love Spam and Velveeta and, used properly, there are no less nutricious than many of the sweets are blogger buddies put up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! And what a fun idea! Thank you Stephen. I will keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in 2000, I visited a friend whose wife is Japanese, and she made musubi. I loved it. I had no idea it was SPAM though--SPAM is not that popular in Mexico and this was, unbeknownst to me, the first time I ever had it. All this time I thought it was ham... a ham whose flavor I wasn't able to replicate. Now the truth is out, and we'll be getting SPAM, much to my horror and to Baz's delight. :)

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog