Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Favorite Cup

The weekend I moved into my residence hall as a new minted university freshman (Go Wildcats!), my mother took me shopping for the essentials: School supplies, food, bedding, bathroom items, cooking materials and the like. 

I recall with such fondness standing in an aisle at Target looking at coffee cups.

"Pick out a coffee cup," my mother suggested.

I wasn't a coffee drinker at the time and didn't see that I would need one.

"I don't think I'll need a coffee cup," I told her. Of course she looked at me with a stern, yet loving expression on her face as though to say, "Honey, you're a college student now. I don't know why we're buying all this food anyway when you will be living off of coffee for the next four years."

Ah, the words of wisdom.

So I looked quickly at the selection, settling on this yellow-colored cup with abstract grapes -- or military medals. I haven't been able to figure that over the years. This cup has seen me through so much -- about eight different moves, umpteenth bouts of sickness, several jobs and other major life events.

OK, this is not a posting in the traditional sense of a food blog. But the cup lives in my kitchen and, to this day, serves as a lasting testament as my mother's love and compassion for her daughter as she set out to send her -- the first -- off to college. For this reason, this remains my favorite cup.

1 comment:

  1. I gave Peter and cup years ago with a picture of me on one side and our dog, Scooper, on the other. He's drinking coffee out of it even as we speak.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog