Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy First Year!!!

This week marks my blog's first-year anniversary! I have learned so much in that time! Some of it functional culinary mastery, some of it common sense stuff -- like:

Never use a glass container when baking at high heat.

You must cook red beans longer than 30 minutes.

Do not add additional lighter fluid to a grill already prepped with the food you are cooking.

Put the BBQ sauce on grilled meat toward the end of cooking, not the beginning.

Ah. Living is learning. To celebrate the first-year anniversary, here are some of my favorite posts (in no particular order):

FOOD CHALLENGE: Pudding: I miss my Food Challenge group. The group was the very reason why I began this blog. But it disbanded a few month after I joined as a member -- everyone had been getting increasingly busy, finding it difficult to commit to weekly challenges. I thought about walking away from the blog, but I couldn't do it. I love it that much, and it still encourages me to be creative and giddy in the kitchen. The pudding challenge was so fun! I had a great time doing some plate decorating, too.

Why I Cook: In addition to having an awesome and adorable photo of myself when I was a 5-year-old (and I actually remember the photo being taken), this post led to my one-year commitment, one that continues. My affection for home cooked meals has only intensified since I began this blog. More and more, I love the process of preparing food and have become increasingly concerned with issues of sustainability. I am not yet a master, but I am working through it.

The Famous Mystery Sauce: My kitchen feats have left me saying, "Did I make that?!" ...both in the good and bad way. But mostly good. I am always thoroughly impressed when I am able to eat a meal in public and then replicate it at home. Even better when it's better. I have not yet mastered the shrimp culichi, but I am on my way.

Buttermilk White Sauce with Pasta: This one perplexes me. Based on my site hits, this entry is consistently the most visited one. I have run no serious analytics to understand why -- it's just one of those perplexing things. It wasn't even one of my favorite dishes or posts! And yet I get people from Canada and various parts of Europe and Africa who visit to read this post.

SAVEUR: Boudin-Stuffed Turkey Breast: This is one of my all-time favorites. This was one of the most hilarious culinary experiences I have had in life. I think it was a great combination of experimentation, lack of knowledge but a sense of urgent dedication to having a good outcome. I literally laughed much of the time I was preparing this dish and while posting the blog. Incidentally, it is the top viewed post on the blog.

Some of My Favorite Things: I do not have tons of culinary devices, but I do have a few reliables. Among my favorites are the red trivets my mother gave me as a housewarming gift. I hang them over the oven as decorative additions, pulling them off the wall whenever I need them.

Ghee and Me: I was only introduced to ghee this year. I fell instantly in love. So much that I opted to make my own at home. It the simplist of culinary attempts, but requries precision and care.

A Fitting Gift: I very much enjoy preparing food for other people. It makes me happy and pleases me to no end when I find that the the other person can appreciate what I have made. Cooking for me is such a relaxing and creative almost meditative outlet. An d while I have not yet mastered baking or desserts, this post is about a treat I made for Nancy's mother. It was so decadent that she asked me, "Where did you get this?" There is something absolutely wonderful in begin able to say, "Honey, I made that."

Favorite Photos, Favorite Dishes: And what's a blog without images? I can tell my photography has improved since launching the blog. I am not a trained photographer. I took one photojournalism course during my undergraduate years and took some of the worse images imaginable. I have tried some experimentation with my images -- different angles and taking photos at different points in the process. Granted, I won't get a front page splash in the Los Angeles Times, but I am quite pleased with my continued improvement. That is what this blog is all about.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your anniverwary. There is something very instructive about posting on a blog, isn't there? I hope your kitchen life (and other life) continues to be rewarding and enriching.

    Your friend,
    STephenC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!!!! One year keep it going so I can gain more weight. love you nancy

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog