Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Famous Mystery Sauce

There is this amazingly rich dish that is quite popular here -- Mariscos Chihuahua's camarones culichi.

In the many, many years I have enjoy this restaurant's cuisine, I have only ever ordered the shrimp culichi. Only. Ever. The restaurant calls it "the dish that made us famous." Other than calling it a "creamy green sauce," the restaurant doesn't give off any clues as to what is in this sauce.

It is, quite simply, a roasted poblano sauce.

But it is doctored up in a way that you will not soon forget. 

I set out to try and replicate this dish, finding a video made by a man named Jevon. Thank you Jevon!

I did a few things slightly differently than he did.

I roasted the peppers then steamed them before peeling them.

And I used a sweet onion -- nearly a whole one. I also used about 1.5 whole cloves, though the dish might have been better served with only one whole clove -- and only for those of you who absolutely love the taste of garlic. Otherwise, it will be a bit too much.

I also used a little bit more Crema Mexicana (a type of Mexican sour cream -- thinner but more flavorful than the American version) and milk in my recipe. I also used ghee. Love that stuff.

From start to finish, this meal took two hours.

Part of it was trial and error and trying to find the most appropriate tools for the job. I had never roasted peppers in this way before. Goodness, I cannot wait to see my gas bill. I had all four burners going for about a half hour.

But this was so fantastic! A new culinary experience for me. I loved the popping sounds the poblanos made as they were roasting. All the while I kept thinking, "...maybe I should disengage the smoke detectors...." That was quite entertaining. To steam them, I put them in a bowl and covered it with a plastic bad. It's all I had on hand and worked splendidly.

Meanwhile, I put the garlic, onion, milk, crema, and bouillon -- use it only in its powdered form! -- in the food processor. I do not have a blender. Bummer. That's unfortunate, because my sauce was slightly lumpy. But the lumps weren't too distracting to the taste, just to the sight.

All the while, Alex was sitting nearby wondering, "Oh come on! What is taking so long with this dish? I am ready to have a taste now. Can I have a taste? Please?"

Oh, Alex. Such the perfect kitchen mate. She just sits there quietly and patiently, giving me confident cues without ever tipping her toe into the sauce.

So, back to cooking: I also did not cook the shrimp seperatley. I think this turned out to be a good idea, as I imagined they would turn rubbery if I cooked them twice.

I merely tossed them (without adding any salt) into the sauce as it heated it in a pot on the stove.

So, in all, I used very little seasoning. This is actually a wonderful thing for me, as I tend to use lots of spices and herbs. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but too much salt is. Also, I adore cooking that enables you to pull the natural flavors from your vegetables.

So, in all, I added about a table spoon of ground pepper to the sauce as I was warming it on the stove and about half that amount for the salt. In retrospect, because I added the cheese later, I probably didn't need to add salt at all.

Lastly, I put the shrimp and sauce in a pan, sprinkled it with cheese I had shreadded, then put it under the broiler for about three to four minutes.

In the end, it was quite good. It did not match that of  Mariscos Chihuahua but it got pretty close. Something is missing. Next time I might try adding less crema and milk and tossing in some cilantro and maybe some lime. We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. What a job you've done with this! It must be very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! If you are serious about wanting to join us, email me at oneperfectbite at yahoo dot com. We have lots of room in the pool and would love more participants. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog