Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Yeah! For Achiote-Smothered Chicken Thighs

I have been introduced to a wonderful paste -- achiote. The paste itself is common in Oaxacan dishes. It is fiery red. Almost carnival-like. The type of red a clown would wear while tormenting small children as they cling to the leg of the nearest adult.

I had it for the first at Josephine's, a restaurant in Flagstaff, during Nancy's birthday dinner over the weekend (*Note: If you are ever in Flagstaff, please check this place out!).

Given the color, I might have been turned off. But I wasn't. Not when it smelled like fancy BBQ sauce. Not when the taste was so alluring. Somewhere in between spicy and savory. Not when I randomly saw it at the grocery store when I wasn't even looking for it.

I swear, it secretly lured me to that aisle, whispering something to my subconscious. I plucked it immediately off the shelf.

And, so, last night I prepared the paste with a squeezed lime, soaking the chicken thighs in the mixture and leaving it in the fridge overnight.

Upon arriving home after work, I set the oven to 450 degrees and began to make the rice.

I first sauteed sweet onion, tossing in red bell pepper slices just as the onions began to brown. Then I added the ghee I made last week. It's still so lovely! I also added a couple pinches of salt, tossed in the long grain rice and stirred this briefly before adding water and allowing the rice to fully cook.

Boiled some corn on the cob. That was easy. No butter. No seasoning. None of Bragg's yummy seasoning. *deep sigh* I love Bragg.

I let the chicken thighs cook for about 35 minutes but had a last minute thought to toss them onto this freakin' awesome indoor grill my mother sent me last week! Didn't I tell you my Ma was awesome and thoughtful when it comes to gifts, like my amazing blender.

So, yes -- I put them on the grill, skin down, for about three minutes, just enough to slightly char the skin.

Success!

The meat was so juicy and nicely seasoned. Though I could have added more of the achiote paste, perhaps less of the lime.... Hum, conundrum. I wanted more of the spice, but also wanted the chicken to remain juicy. I suppose I could have added a couple slices from a jalapeno. Yes! That would have done it. Well, maybe next time.

2 comments:

  1. I am greatly impressed with this dish. Also disappointed that I haven't yet found ethnic markets in DC. I was so in the habit in Denver of shopping in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll find them! Let me know when you do, because I want to learn about what you are working with!

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog