Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Ghee and Me

The house is full of the fresh, warm, buttery, nutty, toasty fragrant smell of ghee!

...but not purchased ghee -- homemade.

I tasted ghee as-is via a haphazard occurrence. I had to buy ghee for my house blessing in February (long story; don't care to get into the details of it all here -- other than to say the house blessing was very necessary and turned out to be a wonderful, nurturing, deeply spiritual and fulfilling experience).

Well, I wasn't sure what to do with it. So it sat in the fridge. And sat. And sat. And sat. Until I finally decided to try it on a slice of toast.

There is only way to describe how my taste buds felt at that moment -- through interpretive dance.

I was thoroughly impressed at how condensed and full the flavor was. It was much better than any butter I had ever had. Rich and full of round flavors. 

I understood that the process in making ghee was so very, very, very simple.

You merely need a pot, a few sticks of unsalted butter, a flame, a spoon, cheesecloth and a container.And patience. All this to make clarified butter.

Indeed -- it was nothing to making ghee but to be careful that the butter did not cook too fast as the water is burning off.

A residue collects at the bottom of the pan. I did not know what this was all about. And neither did Topee! Look at how nervous she looks in the photo! Some people use the reside, which is burnt bits of butter, for other recipes. I did not  know this until after I had thrown it away, otherwise I might have gotten creative with it.

So, yes -- simple. This required, literally, no effort at all. But I was still quite impressed.

1 comment:

  1. We have had ghee in the fridge before, although not since our move to DC. Must get more, or make some.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog