Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

SAVEUR: Mexican Tacos

Growing up in Los Angeles meant eating a nice sampling of Mexican food.

It was quite common to see little stands with vendors selling corn on the cob smothered in mayonnaise, butter and chili sauce or selling tacos topped with every variation you could imagine.

Or the ice cream carts and mango stands! ...oh, the mango stands.

Rico! Delicioso!!!

Interestingly, I do not recall having a favorite dish. I didn't care if it were enchiladas, burritos, tacos -- just not tamales. For some reason, my younger self simply did not take an attraction to tamales.

But I did have a household favorite: When my mother would purchase tacos and all the fixings for tacos.

I don't typically make the tacos as she did when we were kids. When I make them, I typically heat the tortillas over an open flame or on a comal and add whatever mixture I have prepared.

My mother, however, would pan fry the tortilla, then sit them on paper towels so that the extra oil could be collected before we would gently stuff the tortillas with onions and lettuce and tomatoes and cheese.

*long, deep, reminiscent sigh*

So I was pleased to see tacos on the current cover of Saveur. What fun! And I hadn't made them in such a while.

And you can't have tacos without corn on the cob. Interesting, a bit of steam is visible rising from the corn in the photo to the right. Curious looking.

When done, I was surprised to see that my tacos came out looking very close to those on the cover.

I swiftly cooked diced potatoes, then added onions toward the end for a nice sautee. Then I added green bell peppers, lowering the temperature and covering the mix for a little while.

Next, I added the ground beef and seasoned it with onion powder, garlic salt and roasted garlic seasoning. I let this cook beyond its time -- purposefully. I do love it when the meat has a little burn to it if they are going into tacos.

I then chopped up the cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, cabbage and sprinkled some queso on top, serving some salsa and jalapenos on the side.

What flavor! I have never cooked tacos like this! I used olive oil and was surprised that the oil didn't smoke as much as I would have expected. Anyway, in all, a wonderful meal that took me back to my place of upbringing.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice story and what a nice taco result.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog