Who's That Girl

My Photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

SAVEUR: The Grand Lobster Fest

...OK, that title just may be an overstatement.

After all, there were only two lobsters to be had.

But, goodness, was it a treat.

Nancy and I have been talking for some time about cooking lobster at home.

Ever since trying fresh lobster for the first time while visiting Nancy and her family in Maine during the summer of 2010, I have been anxious to have fresh lobster again.

But so, so intimidated.

It was during a late night conversation this week that we decided to revisit the idea. And I came home earlier this week to find that Nancy had purchased two nice-sized lobster.

Nancy did all the work -- can you believe it? Yep, I served as her sous chef, taking commands as she moved easily through the kitchen.

Impressive, I know!

Nancy told me that she and her family would have lobster from time to time growing up, but that it wasn't something her parents would cook at home.

When they had lobster, it intended to be at restaurants in her hometown, the types of restaurants that overlooked the ocean inlets and the fishermen and women coming in from a hard day's work carrying a new lot every time.

She worked like a champ, as though this were in her natural code.

She baked the potatoes and prepped for the lobsters. I stopped by the market to buy some side salads and a Chardonnay. When I got home, she set to work preparing the lobster.

It did not take long at all to get the meal ready for dinner. Nancy cooked the lobster for about 10 minutes and had already spent an hour cooking the potatoes. So, we simply plated everything and sat down to do the heavy lifting required to get to the smooth, soft, flavorful lobster meat.

Yes, the experience was somewhat disturbing. I have never actually killed an animal or crustacean that I then ate. I did say a little prayer and give thanks to the lobsters.

And while this was meant to count for the January Saveur cover challenge, I realize that it is crayfish, not lobster, on the cover. Bummer.

1 comment:

  1. What a delicious meal! The laboster really look good. Although I am not big on it but I am willing to give this dish a try.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...