Who's That Girl

My Photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Playing with Pesto

Pesto -- that lovely mixture of basil, olive oil, nuts and garlic -- is something I have wanted to play with in the kitchen for some time.

I very much enjoy pesto, but rarely eat it. It wasn't until I tasted it on a pizza a couple nights ago that I decided I would cook it into a dish of some sort.

Pesto has such a wonderful, aromatic and powerful flavor. And considering I have never used pesto for anything other than, say, dipping, I wasn't sure where to begin.

So I decided on the other foods first, then tried to figure out how to incorporate the sauce. I knew I wanted to prepare lamb with a fine toast of bread, but what else?

Pasta? Why not?

I had never had pesto on pasta before, though I understand this is fairly common. This is what I opted to do:

We already had some pesto in the fridge. I melted some butter and chives into the pesto and, after having cooked the pasta, stirred the sauce into the noodles and added some of the starchy water from the noodles. I also -- and don't chuckle -- sauteed some bacon bits and included this in the mix along with some walnuts that I put through the food processor and some Parmesan cheese.

I made a rub for the lamb -- cinnamon, brown sugar, salt, paprika, cumin and garlic salt with a smattering of olive oil. I grilled this for less than 10 minutes. I should have removed some of the rub and oil because it charred the meat to the point that I had to scrap off the darkened bits (*embarrassing*) before pan searing the chops a little bit.

And a salad was a must. Quite simply it included lettuce, tomatoes, baby dill, corn, red vinegar and olive oil with a little bit of salt.

Well, not bad.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sort of over pesto. Peter made numerous versions using ingredients from our garden. We've finally eaten all of it. But, good for you for making something you and your partner enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very promising. I think it is always wonderful to rethink and use ingredients others think to be old. This certainly sounds delicious. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was pretty tasty. I could have used a little bit more pesto and olive oil, but I will likely give it another go.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...