Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Friday, December 24, 2010

Slow Cooked Cornish Hens

Crockpot heaven -- that is where I was.

My mother gave me this crockpot last year, but I rarely have a chance to use it. Rephrase: I rarely use it.

I find that I am not especially fond of many of the typical crockpot dishes.

I also admit that my knowledge of more advanced crockpot cooking is somewhat limiting, as is my experience. I too often think of soups and roasts.

But I am inspired by A Year of Slow Cooking which provides ample inspiration for non-traditional crockpot recipes. 



So here I was -- in the grocery store with Nancy -- when she spotted cornish hens and asked if I would make them. I love this! I love it when she puts in requests for dishes. It shows me that she is taking an interest in my cooking and that she also enjoys my cooking.

Also folks, I am a Libra (as you know) so choosing meals all the time comes to be quite repetitive and sometimes difficult, so it's nice to have Nancy's coaxing.

So this was my method: I cleaned the hens and seasoned them with salt and pepper.

For the base, I then used whatever we had on hand, which amounted to -- literally -- three ounces of broth! I just about melted.

Ah well, I boiled up some bouillon and added this to the crockpot along with the itty bitty bit of broth available. I also added elephant garlic (the ones that look like potatoes in the first image), onions and bay leaves.

I let this cook on low for about nine hours. After that point, I roasted the hens in the oven for about 15 minutes on a high temperature. In retrospect, I should have browned the meat before putting it into the crockpot. But no worries, the meat was succulent and fairly moist throughout. It went quite well with this wonderful mustard-garlic sauce I made, and the side salad was a nice touch. 

3 comments:

  1. I love Cornish hens and I love slow cooker meals, the few times I've used mine, so I'm super excited to try this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had cornish hens but this looks good. I am looking for more things to do in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there K. Rock! Thanks for checking in. I would describe the taste of cornish hens as having more of a gamey flavor than chicken. To be more specifically, it tastes more natural, earth-like and authentic than do other type of white meat. The flavor in this dish was especially light and lovely thanks to the hours cooked and also the rosemary. Happy eating.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog