Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Melts-in-Your-Mouth Chicken with Soup/Sauce

Whoot, whoot! This is my 100th post!

And it was a good one.

I had one of those nights at the grocery store where I wasn't sure what I wanted to prepare.

This happens periodically and the security -- I am sure -- is always watching me from surveillance wondering when I am going to slip something into my pocket.

Terrible.

Anyway, I started in the meat department, looking over the fish and steaks but nothing was drawing my attention. I then went to the produce department and found some lovely looking broccoli. I grabbed those, along with some plump mushrooms. I also snatched up an onion and some carrots.

Where am I going with this, I thought?

I wasn't sure what I wanted. Ha -- what do you know? Libra.

Then the thought occurred to me: What about baked chicken served atop a portobello mushroom with a kind of mushroom sauce made from soup?

I swiftly rushed over to the soup aisle. I wasn't sure what I would go with. I figured cream of mushroom would be my best bet when I saw a cream of chicken mushroom. I'd never heard of such a thing, but I went for it.

*Note: As I am writing this, I realize I have quite a few vertical shots tonight. That's strange. I usually take horizontal shots and am short of the vertical types.

Anyway, my method was to sautee the onions and red peppers until just softened.

I then added some Baby Bellas.

Next came the soup. I added the entire can, then about another can of water to the mix before adding my seasonings. I also added some heavy cream -- eyeballing it.

Now, you all know this is where I always get stalled. I can never recall what I toss in the mix. Really, when it comes to spices and herbs, it is all stream of consciousness with no dictation involved. I think I put in some onion powder, garlic salt along with actual garlic (yes -- I rubbed the chicken with fresh garlic), black pepper, chives and paprika -- as we can tell from the image. I may have put in a little bit of cumin as well.

I cooked this on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, the mushroom was out of the oven within the same amount of time. The chicken cooked for about 30 minutes. I kept it in a foil wrap with some olive oil and seasonings. Eek! Don't ask which ones.

Oh! And I made some jasmine rice as well.

For the plating, I wasn't sure what to do with the mushroom. I had intended to make one mushroom for me and one for Nancy, but they were sizable enough that we could share one. That tossed out the original idea I had to serve the chicken over the mushroom.

So I kind of went cosy with this one -- a mushroom slice gently pushed up against a bed of rice with the chicken nearby, nearly covered in my soup/sauce concoction. I need to come up with a name for this one.


2 comments:

  1. There are few things I enjoy more than creating a meal out of whatever my hand falls on at the market or in the pantry. I try to keep a written record of what I'm doing, but after the fact it is sometimes challenging to recall all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the flavours into this dish. You're right, all of these delicious comination of flavours would melt in the mouth. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog