Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, December 13, 2010

In Memory of...

Thank goodness for my higher education program.

I have not been intellectually challenged in the kitchen for the last couple of weeks.

Disappointing.

Well, I shouldn't be so negative. It is, after all, the end of the first semester of my doctoral degree -- so it was somewhat heavy coming to a close. I think I did well this semester, though I am still waiting for grades on a final paper and a project that I feel absolutely in love with, despite all the stress.

But, yes -- all this working and wrapping up of the semester has kept me from being elbow deep in the kitchen. Well, actually you can see from prior posts that I have been cooking, but it has all been swift cooking. I love for the days where it took upwards from three hours to prepare a single meal.

I can heard you: "Crazy woman!"


OK. Yes, I accept that label.

But, really -- regardless to it being the end of the of the semester, I am not sure what has been going on.

I have been pleased with the dishes I have made in the last couple of weeks but I want to do something of a grand cathedral scale! ...much like the images presented here.


 These are all images of dishes that were quite challenging at the time -- dishes and desserts that required the sort of intense attention that my eyelids were burning at the end of it all.


I want to get out of the habit of my maystays. This makes me feel the need to grant a full disclosure for another reason I am so desiring of a challenge right now. 

So, while in Indianapolis I came upon this cookbook/concept book that made me realize that not only do I have much to learn, but it feature elBulli, said to be among the most famed restaurants in the world.


I was so jealous. So very, very jealous. Now, you'll remember my deep desire a while back -- during the sour cream challenge -- in wanting to enter the world of molecular gastronomy. This elBulli specializes in the art of molecular gastronomy in a way I have never, ever imagined -- ever.

Come on now -- when you are an able to pull off such a culinary feat that you can take food and turn it into elaborate, ornate presentations that mimic orbs of light, flowers from the sea, angel's wings seemingly suspended in air, or my kinky, curly hair -- why, it's masterpiece theater in the mouth, I am sure. 


I need to let it go and get back to my own version of creativity within the confines of my reality -- no culinary kitchen; no formal culinary training; no torch -- still -- but a with a tenacity, obsession and devotion to improving my cooking skills.

But, really -- I consider it not a fault that I have not been able to make or prioritize the kitchen time I want and need. In fact, I am looking forward to this brief winter break with full intention of catching up on some ideas I've had in mind. And I have some catching up to do! The Saveur food challenge is behind! I should have completed that one already. The next magazine should be arriving next week. Eek! I'll get on it.

So, yes, be patient with me as a regroup and resurface. And, as always, if you have any ideas do let me know.

But for now, I will enjoy the memories of yesterday and recipes past. They serve as motivation for much better and far more complex creations in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog