Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Monday, December 27, 2010

Holiday Cooking at Home

Home for the holidays and thrilled that my parents wanted me to cook for them. And they had a request -- enchiladas!

Goodness, I cannot recall the last time I cooked enchiladas. I am not even sure if I made them this year at all. I think that would have been last year. I know I made them for me and Nancy last, but I honestly cannot remember when that was. See there -- my memory is going. ...just kidding.

For my family, and by request, I would make three types -- those with shrimp, another with ground beef and another with hot sausage.


Also, my sister made a surprise visit home -- as did I, so she volunteered to serve as my sous chef. That was a great help because making enchiladas can be a huge mess.

I like to cook my enchiladas using broth of some kind. Generally, I will cook chicken enchiladas, but no one hand interest in them this time. So I purchased vegatable broth, whcih I then added to the enchilada sauce.

The remainder of my procedure is pretty standard for cooking enchiladas -- I soften the corn tortillas in the sauce/broth mixture before rolling them with the mixture. I also drenched the finished enchiladas in the sauce before putting them in the often for 15 to 20 minutes.

I swiftly sauteed the shrimp in olive oil, having seasoned them with Old Bay and pepper. And I added a little bit of butter at the end to lend added flavor.

I also made refried beans and rice with paprika and cayenne pepper. All delicious flavors. And I added a bit of vegetable broth in the rice as well.

I served the meal with red hot chipotle chilies, sour creme, avocado, black olives and freshly chopped onions.




3 comments:

  1. Way to go! I hope your family appreciated all the effort (mental and other) that you put into this meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect holiday meal to me! I love enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really was. And I was so very happy to be home again.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog