Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Foodtography

We had our second food and photography event – during which Nancy provides a one-hour photography lesson and I prepare the food. I do not have a chance to sit in on her class because I am frantically preparing food for 10 people or more.

We have been planning this event since having a successful first event. We’re planning to have another in January. Interested in coming?

I was quite pleased with the turnout. I could not decide what I wanted to prepare until the last minute – literally, Saturday morning. That was the most frustrating part. I just could not make up my mind. But it was turned out to be splendid.

I made pork ribs. For these, I made a rub for the meat and marinated the ribs in a mixture of soy sauce and Mama Sitas Tapa Marinade with pepper.

I also made a stuffed pork loin. I marinated the loin in teriyaki sauce and orange juice, then stuffed it with goat cheese and spinach.

Last on the list for protein, I made a flat iron steak. I produced a rub, using brown sugar, onion salt, paprika and an herb mix and also added some vinegar, marinating the meat for a few hours.

On to the sides. 

I wanted to make cheddar crisps. I had tried these before, but they came out looking like bright orange blobs. Not attractive at all. And terribly, terribly greasy. Blecth. I believe the trick is in getting better quality cheddar cheese and going skimpy on each round. They were delicious. So simple -- and only took about 15 minutes to prepare six at a time.

I didn't go for a tossed salad this time. Instead, I made these veggie pockets. I used butter lettuce -- something I had never eating until recently. Along the stem of each leaf, I placed a spreadable cheese, a slice of red bell pepper and either smoked ham or roast beef, both cold cuts. I then tied them into little bundles with fresh chives.

That was an experience.

I cleaned each of the chives, but I should have kept them wet. It would have saved me a lot of stress and anxiety when trying to tie them into neat little knots without them breaking instantly in half. You love and learn, I guess.

I also had marinated mozzarella balls and mushrooms with olives and made mashed potatoes with cottage cheese instead of sour cream I also use garlic salt and pepper for the potatoes, and I tossed some chives in there. And I made apple -- I don't know what. It was a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and a little bit of oil. I sauteed them until they were nice and glazed. Lastly, I also had grapes and persimmons for dessert.

Next time I'll try and go more daring with the recipes! And this time I didn't present the food, but I do have some idea for January. If you have some as well, feel free to post them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog