Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

FOOD CHALLENGE: Sour Cream

ARRGGHHH!!!

Probably not the best way to start a posting, but I am so annoyed!

I had it all planned for the sour cream challenge. I wanted to make beads to decorate a dish, which would require getting my hands on some sodium alginate to try reverse spherification I have spent the last two days trying to find a culinary grade -- grocery stores, pharmacies, compounding businesses, chemical manufacturing companies even. But no luck.

Bummer. I was so excited!

When plan A didn't work, I swiftly began thinking up other concoctions: "Could I, like, freeze sour cream then create a meat or wonton roll around it then bake it so that when you break into the meal sour cream comes pouring out? Or, could I mix it with cream cheese and make spherical mounds?"

Bah -- nevermind.

I settled on stuffed chicken breasts with sour cream, chives and mushrooms with a side of cabbage with onions and bacon bits.

I know, I know.

This was my method: I used a mallet on the chicken to try and thin it out because I was less interested in butterflying the meat. I then salted it and added some onion salt to the mix. Then, I prepped the sour cream.

I went for Cacique Crema Mexicana instead of the typical Americana sour cream. I used to keep this stuffed stocked at home -- back when I was prone to cook imitation Mexican food. It is excellent on tacos, burritos, tostadas, rolled tacos, tortas, enchiladas -- yum!

But I haven't purchased it in some time. It is slightly more mild than generica cream cheese, but smoother and still full of flavor.

I mixed the sour cream with fresh chives and mushrooms before spooning the mixture into the chicken breasts, which I then folded in half, squirted a couple of times with olive oil, sprinkled with a bit of paprika and Parmesan cheese then set to bake for about a half hour.

Then I prepared the green cabbage side dish. I first sauteed some onions, then added the chopped up cabbage before adding a bit of salt and pepper and the bacon bits. I covered this and cooked it on medium heat for a good 15 minutes or so. Just enough to be al dente.

I plated this in a simple way. Pretty good. The Parmesan was a good idea. Cooked in the oven, it ended a nice nutty flavor with the droplet of truffle oil that I added in the end.


3 comments:

  1. I wish I had time to regale you with the molecular gastronomy meal I had here a few years ago. It was amazing. As would be said at Jenn's Food Journey: "Create". That's just what you did. You make us proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought to stuff chicken breasts with a sour cream mixture - great idea! The cabbage sounds tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was marvelous! Rich and succulent. A fantastic dish.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog