Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Friday, November 26, 2010

Copycat Cheese and Olive Appetizer



I usually do not like following recipes, but this appetizer I came across in Gourmet's special addition was too beautiful -- and simple -- to pass.

It is one of these five-ingredients-or-less recipes that takes only about 15 minutes to prepare.

You need only olives of your choice, a few thyme sprigs, some olive oil, lemon zest and goat cheese medallions or buttons.

I was pleased to be preparing a dish with fresh thyme. I do this so seldom. If it's a fresh herb that I am working with it's usually a parsley, cilantro, mint or basil. Thyme and sage are wonderful to me, but I am such a novice that I am not always sure how to use them in a dish.


So I was thrilled to see such an easy dish incorporate the thyme.

Along with the goat cheese, olives and lemon zest, this amounted to a very nice and light appetizer.

It was painless to make this. Oh, but I don't have a zester.

I like those microplane zesters, but have a tendency to steer clear of items that are not multipourpose and functional outside of the intended range. Hence no microplane zester. I may someday buckle, but not now. For now, the extra sharp knife had to do.

It worked out well. The cheese tasted simply gorgeous with the lime and thyme. A nice marriage of tastes.

Next time I will have to experiment with other types of cheeses, or perhaps roll the cheese in some sort of mixture prior to adding the other goodies.

2 comments:

  1. The microplane is not only useful as a zester, it makes great powdery grated cheese. We use ours all the time. Do you live near a Whole Foods? If so, go to the salad bar and see if they have castelvetrano olives. They are bright green and very mild in flavor. They are my favorite green olive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may break down and get one, eventually. But these castelvetrano olives you mention sound delicious. I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Mild in flavor sounds nice to me. I tend not to enjoy sharp olives. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog