Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chocolate Biscotti After the Hiatus

Goodness -- it's been entirely too long. But for good reason.

We were at the Association for the Study of Higher Education where I presented my original research. It was only my second conference presentation. I presented at the American Sociological Association last year. Different project.

Yes, I realize this is not a higher education/research blog -- but my goodness! What a wonderful conference! I loved learning about the prevailing need to consider race and ethnicity in research, but with more dynamic and comprehensive approaches and the importance in evaluating the spiritual and religious nature of students (I initiated a project on the subject over the summer).

Some of my other favorite sessions were on students with disabilities and the particular challenges they face in transitioning from high school to college (something I am currently studying as a trainee), new definitions of academic capitalism and the influential nature of globalization on most every facet of the higher education structure.

I could go on! But, alas...the conference included no discussions about food -- food choices for college students anyone? Ramen noodles. Taco Bell. Pizza.

And we did not have a kitchenette, so I couldn't cook.

We opted to then stayed a couple of days after my presentation to enjoy downtown Indianapolis. Lovely downtown! We enjoyed the canal walk and this lovely restaurant, Left Bank Cafe, and also Tastings and Sushi on the Rocks. Honestly, this will go down as one of the most prominent experiences during my graduate career.

We also had some time to enjoy the presence of some of my higher education counterparts. While I loved Indy -- my second visit -- I also was pleased to return to my kitchen.

That's one difficulty with traveling -- rarely is there an opportunity to truly cook in the same form as home cooking.

But since my return I have been busy.

First stop -- chocolate biscotti. In this batch went vanilla extract, honey, butter, fresh cranberries, almonds, cinnamon and I don't know what else. I was on a mission to reconnect with the kitchen and to create a better batch than the one I put together before we left for our trip.

The result? Success. The bag I took to work was gone by the lunch hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog