Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

HoneyBaked Ham Knockoff

I have many fond childhood memories of Christmas and Easter time when my mother would purchase a HoneyBaked Ham for the family dinner.

What I loved most about the ham was it syrupy sweet glaze coating, which was always slightly crunchy. We would enjoy our ham with macaroni and cheese and dinner rolls or King's Hawaiiam Bread.

Once, my mother and I tried to replicate the recipe. It didn't go over as well. I tried again tonight, and I now know what has been missing all along: a torch.

That's right. If I had a torch this meal would have been top notch. I'll get one someday.

My torch-less method was quite simple. I purchased a one-pound ham that had been cooked. I placed this in a baking container lined with foil. For the first phase of cooking, I put in a little bit of water and brown sugar on top. Not much brown sugar, just enough to try and create a thin coating.

I cooked the ham for 20 minutes, covered. Meanwhile, I sauteed sweet onions and green bell peppers, added some garlic and cinnamon with the spice pack for couscous before adding the grain to cook.

Next I tossed together a salad. I let the tomatoes, cucumbers and olives marinate in a blue cheese dressing with a bit of feta and Parmesan cheese.

After the 20 minutes for the ham, I added a mixture that I had headed in a sauce pot: brown sugar, mirin and also ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. When this was nearing a boil, I poured it over the ham and returned the ham -- uncovered -- to the oven for about 10 minutes. For the last 10 minutes, I put the oven on broil, checking every few minutes to baste the ham with its juices. I also added some pineapple slices at the end.

The ham did not crisp as I had hoped. Bummer. But it had a nice flavor and turned out to be a complimentary meal for this wonderful Halloween evening.

1 comment:

  1. I own a torch. Maybe I should do a giveaway! I adore ham in any form. I've gotten into the habit of simmering it a bit to reduce saltiness. My parents used to buy canned hams, which we loved. Haven't had one of those in decades. It's time!

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog