Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

FOOD CHALLENGE: Pecans

Sabatoged!

I went to the market, intending to purchase mahi mahi and pecans and while I found some woefully overpriced pecans, the store was not carrying any fresh mahi mahi.

I had to think on my feet? What would make a good substitute?

It thought the cod would be too mild, catfish would be too strong, shrimp – eh, swordfish might be too meaty – but salmon? I usually go simple with the salmon: Lemon. Butter. Parsley. Period.

But why not. It was challenge food night, so I had to come up with something.

Salmon it is!

OK...now what?

On the drive home I thought of the many ways I could prepare the salmon. Then it hit me – a honey and soy sauce for the base with pecan shaving on top.


And there you have it.

I mixed two tablespoons each of honey and soy sauce and chopped up the pecans in the food processor.

For the fish, I salted it, then, I spritzed some lemon juice over it before spooning over the sauce mixture. Then I added the pecans. As an afterthought, I drizzled a last bit of honey over the nuts before putting this in the oven for about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, I prepared the sides: a tossed salad with almonds, cranberries, feta cheese and tomatoes; red potatoes with mustard and dill; plain peas. We could have done without the peas and had broccoli instead.

All together, a nice, filling meal.

And I could not believe how lovely the salmon tasted. Just sweet and slightly oily. The pecans came out well – not crunch, just softened and also lightly sweetened.

This is most certainly a must-make-again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog